Sunday, October 01, 2006

Diamondman Triathlon - Half-Ironman distance 70.3 miles


Diamondman Triathlon - Half Ironman

1.2mile/1.92Km swiming

56mile/89.6Km biking

13.1mile/21Km running

This was my first long distance triathlon attemp after my injures. During the training progress for my Ironman, I decided to do two half-ironman distances, but due to my injuries I had to quit Eagleman 70.3 in June 2006, focusing on recovering for the Ironman.

I was 152/367 athletes that finished the race.

Swim: 44:23, rank 256 (I'm a bad swimmer, but getting better)

T1: 4:16 (takes time to put on my one-toe socks)

Bike: 2:56:29, average of 19.0 miles/hr rank 218 (not fast enought)

T2: 2:03 (I don't know what I did)

Run: 1:47:43, pace 8:14 per mile, rank 59 (my best leg)

Total: 5:34:53

A little long, but couldn’t handle the excitement of writing the report.

Here I am, preparing myself to an Ironman, which I signed last year looking for a challenge (sure it’s more than a challenge, there are 3 together). I spent most of the tri-season recovering and going to physiotherapy + acupuncture. My concerns with Dimondman were my injuries and if I could cope with the distance without problems. Now, I have to say I did, slow but done!!!!!!

Sure non of these would have been possible with the support of people at the DC Tri Club, which were always encouraging, helping and supporting me with my training and goals. There are many of you that always give advice, time, etc. to help others, and to myself. I just want to thanks all for that, especially Chad, which is always planning along something… Paul for the bike rides at 5:30am and swim talks, Kirsten for not beating me that bad in training ;-), Hermes, Gary, and other for the help during this past 2 month of hard training in my way to the Ironman!!!!

The race started for me on Friday, just thinking that everything was close, it made me a little nervous. So I decided to go for a short swim with another tri pal and have a nice dinner (carbo-load), before heading to Delaware on Saturday morning. By the way, a party 2 days before is not good at all.

My friend Paul and I, drove to Bear, Delaware on Saturday morning. Arriving there was great, I felt that I was doing something important for me and something I was looking forward since last year when I registered at Ironman Florida (what I was thinking!!!!). But here I am, waiting to do my first Half Ironman.

Great weather on Saturday, Paul and I checked bikes, got packages and went to check the lake. After that we had a nice dinner at the Sinner’s place (I don’t think anybody there was a Saint). We decided to camp at the Park, so we were closer to the event. We went to sleep, I woke up several times during camping night, but all because of being anxious for everything to start. Alarm set at 5am, Race Day!!!!!! There were already people awake and you feel the movement around. The people, their bikes, the volunteers, music, etc started the day very early. Took my bike and transition bag (looks like a suitcase), and went towards the last minute checks (chip, re-mark my numbers, and set up transition area).

Now wait until start time… I had my wet suit on and started to walk to the lake with everybody. I put on the cap, which I think that for bald people is very very big (too much extra latex there). Now, waiting to jump in the water (Chad thank for the zipper help), which I don’t like it at all (just for shower and basic cleaning LOL). I was on the second wave.

My swim IS NOT my best part of the tri, so I just wanted to be out of the water as soon as possible, and that’s something I repeated to myself all the time (helps me to swim and swim and swim), even though I’m not a good swimmer. Well race started, I was passed by the third wave and part of the fourth wave (I told I’m not a good swimmer), and of course I got hands in my back, legs, etc., people almost passing over me, but well I tried to be as far to the right possible not to bother anybody, and I got a little out of the buoys at the end, almost run into a kayaker.

Took my goggles off to see where I was and try to set up my path again. Finally I WAS OUT OF THE WATER. Run the ¼ mile and heads to T1. I saw Kirsten there almost leaving, doing great. I think my T1 was long, so I just have to work a little more when changing to bike clothes, and probably avoid using my running socks that needs to be fit on each of my toes (great for running but not for transition time).

Took the bike and headed out. Bike was flat, but hate the front wind that we have for almost half of the race, then side wind and finally back wind (this help). My biking is getting better; I was able to pass people but not many since I think I was in the back group due to my nice swimming time. But well, I had to repeat myself that this was a training race for the big thing, and I just needed to enjoy it since I didn’t want to get injured again. Felt great after mile 40, them I was by myself for a while, which made me think about what the hell I was doing, easy answer…Half-Ironman, nothing new, nothing else. Soon saw somebody in front of me, which made me happy, just thinking that I was able to catch somebody. I got energy from somewhere and caught another biker.

Feeling great. When closer to the park again, people cheering made me to pedal faster (which remains me at the moment that I should be spinning close to T2 for the muscle to get ready to run). I saw Kirsten again, almost leaving the park. Now, I started to worry about my knee and tibia injuries, since the run was going to start. At this moment, I didn’t feel any pain during the bike (just the normal pain of 56 miles).

Started my run, I felt good, so I decided that I need to give my best for this particular run, and I did. I started with a nice pace, and increase it a little later and soon started to pass people, my legs still feeling good, and no pain in the horizon yet, making the run enjoyable. I talked to people (not much), and sometimes stay with them for a few seconds just giving a Hi, or asking how they feel, sharing the need for a beer at that moment (it was hot and a beer was my motto @ that time). I continued running for a while until turning into the paved road, and I felt the need of finishing, so I pushed myself a little more and increased my pace, and finally got into the park.

Again people cheering help me to cope with last minute effort, seeing DC Tri club faces close to the end was great GO DCTRI!!!! I looked at the time, but I didn’t register in my brain, so here One challenge passed and felt great!!!! Again thank to all that makes this tri a great experience for me. Looking forward to sharing other reports, season not yet finished

NO PAIN NO GAIN !!!!!!! IronGuille

7 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work Guille!. Keep improving and hope to see you one day at a Competition. Take care. The Urdaneta-Mora family

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Guillermo !
We are supporting you mentally !
Not physically because you are always running too early in the morning.

Leopoldo and Michelle

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Mateo said...

Buenísimo chamo!!! Felicitaciones por el blog y por el esfuerzo. Sin duda que ya sos de acero para mi jaja. Abrazo y éxitos

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buen trabajo, Guille.
Sin duda alguna, estos resultados son el producto innegable del esfuerzo y de tu aptitud fisica.
Que continues mejorando y que las lesiones desaparezcan!

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tremendo chamo! Sigue adelante... felicidades por los logros hasta ahora y muchisima suerte!!!
andres.

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that you? Man you have changed. I only remember this skinny guy that used to drink a lot of rum and beer when Carla and I lived in DC. Congrats on the great accomplishment. It was very impressive. By the way, did the guy in front of you in the picture of you coming out of the water have a heart attack. He looked in bad shape. Just kidding. Congrats again!!!

Greg and Carla

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iron Guillo!!! Durísimo! Pues no hay como unas buenas birras para la recuperación... me sacrificaré para acompañarte en ello... nos vemos en noviembre!
Un abrazo,
Reinaldo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home