Wednesday, October 04, 2006

20-Mile Run (32Km) training and Swimming Clinic

In my training for the marathon that I have to run at the Ironman, I have to do a long run a month before the race. I registered for a 20-Mile run in Virginia, to have support during the race and motivation. But, one of my best friends decided to celebrate his Birthday throwing a party the day before my race. Of course, I can always run 20-mile so being a supportive friend I went to his party. Leo (turning almost 40, see his blog) set up the house perfect for a great Sushi-Noodle dinner for more than 30 people (Thanks, Tulio, Mary and Michi for the cooking) and a good music mix. The party extends for me until 3:45AM something like that, and of course I spent most of the night awake, drinking water (few beers) and an apple plus other munchies. I got home around 4:00AM and went bed at 4:15AM, but before set the alarm clock at 5:45AM because a friend was picking me up around 6:00AM. I woke up a little tired, just 1hr:30min of sleep, and I knew the race was not going to be a personal record for me, in fact I was thinking at that time if I would be able to finish it.

Here we were, my friend and I, heading towards the race start, we stretched and fueled with gel before the race. I started feeling not good after mile 6; my stomach was a little upset and felt bad. I had to stop 3 times to go to the bathroom since I was full of liquid and my pace wasn’t my race pace, of course taking into consideration the party, the drinks, the sleep time, etc, wasn’t that bad. I was able to finish the race in place 76 of 256 general, and 14 of 59 in the male age group. My total time was 2h:49min:41sec.

We stretched after the race, and drove back home. But I have a swimming clinic at 1:00pm. Since you already know, my swim style sucks, so I need the help. I decided to have a cup of coffee, and go to the swimming class. I did, and it was great. We started the clinic, with a few good members of the DC TRICLUB that generously gave their time to help others, we were like 20 people there trying to improve our techniques. To my surprise, we started drills with out using the hands, so here I am after a 20-mile run kicking like crazy, I thought I was going to drawn, my legs were exhausted. After 30min more or less, I think more, we started using the arms, a little of rest. The clinic last for almost 2 hrs, and I felt my body was kind of tired from a full day of race/exercise. I went back home, but passed by my gym and got in the sauna for 30min to relax. Finally I was home around 6pm in the afternoon, LONG DAY!!!

I had a 2 hrs nap, I woke up thinking that I was not going to be able to sleep more. I had dinner, and went back to bed and slept until next day 7:00AM, good deal, around 10 hrs of sleep. Monday was a resting day, and I started on Tuesday with a 5-mile recovery run with my group at the office, the IDB Runner’s Club.

By the way, all this happens on Sunday September 24th 2006.

1 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eso es Guillo! Nada mejor para una carrera que una buena rumbita la noche anterior... en eso soy un experto, pregúntale a Iraima... je je je. Un abrazo, nos vemos pronto. Reinaldo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home